Monday 7 May 2012

What do you get?

Last week I received an email from someone through my site recommending I drop my prices as they liked my photos but felt my prices were too high.  Why were my prices too high?  Because they could get photo canvases a lot cheaper from (insert any generic shop here)!

Naturally I replied pointing out that they could buy a canvas from said shops but they would be buying a higher quality product and the knowledge that thousands of people around the world did not have the same photo if they bought my work.  This did not work as the person said I should drop my prices to match these shops as they were OBVIOUSLY making money from their canvases.

Firstly, these companies buy photos from stock sites for pennies and then send them off to a printing company somewhere far away to be run off in its thousands.  These printing companies will invariably use cheap materials and not properly stretch the canvas.

So Why don't I do that?  Economies of scale is the simple answer as I do not have thousands in the bank to pay for such an order.

As I mentioned before the standard of materials used will not be of a high quality (cue fading, sagging of canvas and so forth) and it will show.  I bought a canvas print of one of my photos from Jessops and the quality is no where near as high as the canvases I sell.

Linking in to this, the person said I should reduce my quality so that the prints would become cheaper.  Not surprisingly I said no to that idea as I want to provide a high quality service and products to my customers.

If you have seen my website you will know how much my canvases sell for, but what are you actually paying for?

You are paying for the printing of a high quality product and the associated costs of supplying it (fuel for me to get the shot, food, maintenance and purchasing of equipment, delivery from a local company and so on).  What you may not know is that I do not make a huge amount of profit from these sales.  This is because I want to make my products as affordable as possible and to encourage people to buy my work.


Anyway, enjoy the photos below and I hope you will consider paying a little more for your photographic art so that you will support the person who worked hard for the shot you like.






No comments:

Post a Comment