Sunday 29 April 2012

Hit List


As I stood taking this photo of Bamburgh Castle a rather strange thought crossed my mind, I started to wonder how many iconic or very well known landscape photos have been taken within a short distance of a road or car park?

Bamburgh is a case in point.  If you look at this photo you'd think I had to walk miles to get this shot, but no the car park is to the right and behind me.


Obviously there are some locations that lend themselves to helping the photographer and Eilan Donan is one.  As a visitor attraction the car park over looks the castle and you could spend many hours there taking photos (The photo below was one of 6 taken in 5 minutes) and come away with a variety of shots.


Glencoe and Rannoch Moor is another location where you can turn up and take photos until your heart's content or the battery dies or memory card fills up.  I took the photo below on one of my first trips out with the 40d and again I didn't have to walk far.


As my thoughts go this was quite a good one and I have decided to do something with it.  On one side I am going to challenge myself to go to these locations and try to find a new and very different angle to shoot them.  But!  On the other hand I am also going to look at other well known locations where I will take the short walk to get the shoot so that I can impress you all.  At present there are two at the top of my list.

First up is the Storr on the Isle of Skye as a few factors put me off the long (well 750m)walk up a hill.  The weather being the prime factor and I am hoping this July when I head there the weather will be a lot better.


Second is a rather large location of Sutherland where I want to shoot Stac Pollaidh, Assynt, Duncansby Head etc.  I don't have any photos of this area yet so you can search on Flickr and google for examples.

Any way thanks for reading :)


No comments:

Post a Comment