Wednesday 4 April 2012

Well....

So I did my first post yesterday and a few people read it.  Dammit, I now need to think of something else to say.

I suppose I could explain why I like taking photos and endeavouring to make a living from it.

*
Yes, that is a green chicken!.

A long time ago etc etc I was a little kid and my dad had lots of hens.  One day at nursery  we were singing old MacDonald, it got to the part where the teacher said chicken and I said I had a green chicken.   We all know what happened next.  The teacher thinking I'm more than a little crazy starts taking me round the room with the obligatory what colour is this etc?  She would then ask me what colour chickens were and my reply was always the same, yellow.  But I have a green one.

After the best part of an afternoon doing this my mum finally arrives, the teacher at this point is seriously thinking about my sanity, so she says to my mum (expecting to hear the correct reply) "Jamie thinks he has a green chicken."

 My mum says in reply, "He does."

Needless to say the next day the chicken came to nursery.

*Disclaimer, although this was the 80's no animals were hurt in the process of breeding a green chicken.  I do think that it may have ended up as dinner when it grew up though.  Sorry to any veggies reading.

What does this have to do with who I am etc?

Firstly, this photo in its simplicity is genius as everything is natural (even my dodgy haircut which was not the worst one my mum gave me).

Second, I'm holding a green chicken!  Once you know a green chicken exists anything else is possible.

Thirdly, the photo gives me an insight in to a time I have very few memories of for various reasons and it makes me want to capture special moments and scenes for everyone.

Because of this photo I always want to ensure what I do is done to the best of my abilities even if it means revisiting a photo 2-3 years later as is the case with the photo below.


Believe it or not I took this photo in 2009 and I did not think it was that good.  Another photo was edited instead and people liked it.

For some reason I was flicking through my hard drives as you do and found this photo.  After processing it I realised it was in my opinion a much stronger photo.

This made me realise that I should not be so quick to ignore a photo and to give it a chance in processing.  Now everything gets that chance in Lightroom 4.

I hope you now understand why I take photos.  If you want to see my other photos please visit www.jamiestoddart.com and you can also follow me on twitter @jamiestoddart 

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment